[Avodah] Who First Said It? 7 - Mourning during Sefirah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Apr 8 14:58:10 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 03:27:18PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
: rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com wrote:
: >Add to this the not-so-popular sheeta of the Arizal that all 49 days
: >are assur b'taspores and maybe we can restruct the history a bit

: Not all 49 days, just the first 48.   The Ari holds that one should
: davka cut ones hair on the 49th day, after having grown it since before
: Pesach.  I think he even allows a haircut on the 48th day if the 49th is
: Shabbos.

This is a side-issue. The Ari holds that the aveilus that would issur
taspores applies all 49 days, it's "just" that hachanah for Yom Tov
overrides it.

Since RRW is discussing the growth of the minhag of aveilus (and
developing our awareness of the changes in practice since chazal in
general), neither the difference between 48 days and 49 nor that between
whether something overrides the aveilus on the last day would matter.

BTW, leveraging RAM's work, I applied some additions and differences in
how I read the sources to produce a table of 12 various minhagim at
http://www.aishdas.org/asp/2008/05/mourning-during-omer-2.shtml

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Gevurah: When is strict justice
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            most appropriate?