[Avodah] amen to birkhot hashachar

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Wed Dec 31 10:39:02 PST 2008

From: "Shlomo Pick" _picksh at mail.biu.ac.il_ (mailto:picksh at mail.biu.ac.il)

>I believe that is also new [or new-ish]  [--TK]

>>  Actually the custom to answer amen is quite old, recorded in the bei
yosef to  the tur OH, section 6, found in the SH OH 6:4, agree to by the posekim,
see  shulkhan aruch harav and aruch hashulkhan ad loc.  <<

We were not discussing the general concept of answering amen to a bracha,
which is indeed very old, as you say.

We were talking about the new-fangled custom of making a  magical fetish out
of "Amen" -- putting more stress on the amen than on the  bracha -- having
"amen parties" and saying brachos out loud on purpose on every  possible
occasion, so that others can respond amen loudly and often -- all with  the goal of
achieving some kind of magical benefit, be it a refuah sheleimah, a  shidduch, a
child for an infertile couple or whatever.

--Toby  Katz