[Avodah] woman reading a ketuba

Harry Maryles hmaryles at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 08:09:18 PST 2008

--- On Wed, 12/31/08, Eli Turkel <eliturkel at gmail.com> wrote:

any problem with a woman reading a ketuba at a wedding?

I don't see why there should be. The only purpose for reading a Kesubah is as a Heker to seperate the Kiddushin from the Nissuin. There is no Halachic purpose for reading a Kesubah.

I'm not even sure why any of the Sheva Brachos of Nesuin can't be made by women. Since both men and women are obligated in the Birchas Nesuin, a woman can be Motzie a man with these Brachos just like a man is Motzei a woman.

That said, I could see how there would be major objections from people based on custom. When people are not used to seeing women doing these kinds of things - it can be pretty shocking.

But I see no technical Halachic probelm with it at all. It would seem to be no different than a woman addressing a mixed audience at a banquet. And while there are plenty of RW Orthodox organizations that do not allow that, there are plenty of Orthodox organizations that do - and they are attended by the very same RW rabbanim who do not allow it at their own organization's banquets. And to the best of my knowledge there has never been any protest of any kind by them - Halachic or otherwise - against organizations that allow women to speak.

HM

Want Emes and Emunah in your life?

Try this: http://haemtza.blogspot.com/