[Avodah] Rav Aviner on Amen Meals

Moshe Y. Gluck mgluck at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 15:47:53 PST 2008

From: "kennethgmiller at juno.com" kennethgmiller at juno.com
Is this really such a new thing?

To me, it sounds extremely similar to the practice of some men who who recite Birchos Hashachar out loud, which I've been told is for the specific purpose of accruing zechus to the people who answer Amen. (I'm not talking about the chazan, but about people who say these brachos aloud from their seat in shul.)

R'n TK:
I believe that is also new [or new-ish]

I think the main impetus behind the "amen fad" was the campaign of an unfortunate young woman who was dying of cancer and spent her last years trying to spread the message, in the hopes it would give her a zechus and a refuah.  I don't remember her name but I think she wrote a book, or maybe somebody wrote a book about her.

Here is a link with more information:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3360702,00.html

KT,
MYG