[Avodah] Reiecha Mitzvah Definitions

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Dec 30 11:51:32 PST 2008

On Thu, December 25, 2008 3:44 am, Harvey Benton wrote:
: When a Mitzvah is associated in the Torah with "Reiecha" do
: we always apply and define Reiecha in the same way?  Eg.  V'ahafta
: L'Reiecha Kamocha.  Lo TaaMod Al Dam Reiecha.  Lo Tachmod Et Beit
: Reiecha... etc.

In <http://www.yeshiva.org.il/midrash/doc/doc67/rasha-zuriel.doc>,
"Sin'at Rasha'im" by R' Moshe Tzuri'el (Yeshivat Beit-El), chapter 2
discusses the use of "amkha", "amitekha", "achikha" and "rei'akha" in
describing mitzvos. I recommend the article, and in particular that
chapter.

His conclusion in answer to your question, is that a reia' is every
Jew, whether a tzadiq or rasha'. He cites "lo sachmod beis rei'ekha"
(Shemos 20:14), "lo sa'achoq es rei'ekha" (Vayiqra 19:13), "lo sa'amod
al dam rei'ekha" (ibid 16), "lo sasig gevul rei'ekha" (Devarim 19:14),
"ki savo beqerem rei'eihu" (Devarim 23:25).

It does not include nachriim, even geirei toshav (c.f. BQ 27b, "shor
rei'eihu" - velo aku"m).

"Ve'ahavta lerei'akha (Vayiqra 19:18) is limited in Avos deR' Nasan
(ch 16) to those who aren't resha'im gemurim not because of
"re'eikha", but because the pasuq continues "lo siqom velo sitor es
benei AMEKHA".

I think that's the keta that addresses your specific question.

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

--
Micha Berger             "Man wants to achieve greatness overnight,
micha at aishdas.org        and he wants to sleep well that night too."