[Avodah] Rav Aviner on Amen Meals

Elazar M. Teitz remt at juno.com
Tue Dec 30 08:37:51 PST 2008

R. Joel Rich:

<Question: If one eats not because they are hungry but specifically in order to make a bracha, do you still make a bracha?>

R. Zev Sero:

<So long as one still gets the benefit, either of the nutrition or the
taste, then yes.>

RJR:

Would you say the same thing by taking a drink solely for the purpose of taking medicine?>

RZS:

<That is precisely the basis of what I wrote above.  When taking medicine that is either nutritious or tasty, one does say a bracha.  (See OC 204. Also OC 202, for examples where the fact that one is eating something only for its medical benefit affects the choice of which ingredient is the ikar and which is the tafel; there is no question of not saying a bracha at all.)>

     While RZS's final response is accurate, I believe RJR's question was a different one: not making a bracha on medication itself, but on a liquid taken solely to be able to swallow a pill.

     In that case, it depends on the liquid.  If other than water, a bracha is required.  The obligation for a bracha on water, however, is "hashoseh mayim l'tzam'o," only for thirst (OC 204:7), so no b'racha would be made if he is not thirsty and drinks only to swallow medication.

EMT