[Avodah] Two Ways of Dealing with Society (R' Yaakov Medan)

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Tue Dec 30 07:12:13 PST 2008

The following email was just sent by YHE's ("Gush"'s) Virtual Bais
Medrash. It is someone notes of a sichah given by RYMedan (one of 4 RY,
ever since 2 were added in 2006).

He identifies Yoseif's approach with that of contemporary chareidim,
unlike RYBS who identified him with MO. But in any case, it's a talk
given to one community about the validity of *both* approaches.

-micha

I was struck by the fact that he focused on Yosef's "family" and not
Yosef and his immediate family. Question: Did Yosef and Yaakov know that
Yaakov and family  stay would be more permanent than just the current
famine? If not, the decision for the rest of the family is clearer since
they would expect to soon be back in their "pristine " state. (I assume
Yosef "knew" that Paro would not let him go home )

I also was struck  that he did not consider possible differences in
Egyptian and Babylonian culture as a possible cause for differences.

That being said , I assume the point you mentioned was his main concern
and this was a convenient train leaving the station.

KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.