[Avodah] Rav Aviner on Amen Meals

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Dec 29 14:31:56 PST 2008

Rich, Joel wrote:
> Zev Sero wrote:
>> Rich, Joel wrote:

>>> Question: If one eats not because they are hungry but specifically in
>>> order to make a bracha, do you still make a bracha?
>
>> So long as one still gets the benefit, either of the nutrition or the
>> taste, then yes.

> Would you say the same thing by taking a drink solely for the purpose of
> taking medicine?

That is precisely the basis of what I wrote above.  When taking medicine
that is either nutritious or tasty, one does say a bracha.  (See OC 204.
Also OC 202, for examples where the fact that one is eating something
only for its medical benefit affects the choice of which ingredient is
the ikar and which is the tafel; there is no question of not saying a
bracha at all.)

--
Zev Sero                                Have a brilliant Chanukah
zev at sero.name