[Avodah] priorities in halacha

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Fri Dec 26 04:43:09 PST 2008

R' Danny Schoemann wrote:
> Kitzur Shulchan Aruch 139:5 - If one can afford it, one
> should buy a silver Menorah to beautify the Mitzva.

R' Zev Sero asked:
> Isn't it a little strange for a sefer halacha to impose
> a particular aesthetic as if the author's tastes were
> universal?

I *wish* it were strange. Unfortunately, it seems all too common. A classic example is eating meat on Shabbos.

I have seen recent "seforim" prescribe the sort of tablecloths and dinner utensils which should be used or avoided on Shabbos. I wish these authors would preface their words with something like, "In our communities, these things tend to be considered more beautiful..."

Akiva Miller