[Avodah] Security Cameras & Sattelites on Shabbas

Chanoch (Ken) Bloom kbloom at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 13:14:37 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 01:29:51PM -0800, Harvey Benton wrote:

> Are we allowed to go outside on Shabbas if a Sattelite is overhead
> (or even may be overhead)... it records our movements ... If it is allowed, then would being on a conference-call on Shabbas be permitted? (if the call was initiated before Shabbas, and all one did was talk on it??)
>
> >From what I
> understand the Wall Cam at the Western Wall
> is turned off because of (not) recording people on Shabbas/Yom Tov....
> what about being recorded by Sattelites, Cameras on the Street and/or
> Cameras in front of Banks, Federal Buildings, etc. ???
> I was told the issue is one of Psik Reisha DeLo Neicha Lei, but that it is still a Psik Reisha...

If you could name a camera or sattelite that was recording you in a
specific location then it could be psik reisha delo neicha lei. If you
don't know where there are cameras, then it's mitasek because you
accidentally triggered a melacha action without knowing or intending
to be in a situation that would cause one.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/