[Avodah] women lighting candles

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 22:09:17 PST 2008

> That's why I am arguing (in a post you might not have seen yet) that
> the notion that either position is true and should be true for all is
> mistaken. When going beyond norm, personal motivation matters.

RAL is his article does not claim that this is a psak halacha for everyone.
He brings the various answers of Chatam Sofer and others and feels that
all of them are forced. His conclusion is that given that since women
are explicitly
included in the mitzvah the onus of proof is on those that say women should
not light. He certainly is not paskening for everyone.

BTW Micha's remarks reminded me of a story. Once someone asked RAL
some question and he paskened le-kula. Someone else him asked RAL that
RYBS has paskened  le-chumra on the same issue. RAL's answer was that
RYBS paskened le-chumra because he was a Brisker while he RAL was not
a Brisker!

--
Eli Turkel