[Avodah] Seeing the Swiss Alps

Moshe Feldman moshe.feldman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 12:52:04 PST 2008

 On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 I wrote:

>  <<I also note
> that David HaMelech wrote Barchi Nafshi about the wonders of EY.>>

Clarification:
Presumably David Hamelech meant Barchi Nafshi to be universal; however,
David Hamelech lived in EY, and it is reasonable to say that he described
what he saw (and what I see out of my living room window).  After all, every
one of his descriptions is of what exists in EY, and had he been describing
other parts of the world he might have described things differently, or
added other animals/scenery.  Some examples:
"ha'meshaleiach ma'ayanim ba'nechalim, bein harim ye'haleichun"--he
describes springs in the mountain valleys, but does not describe mighty
rivers.
"harim ha'gevohim l'ye'elim, sela'im machseh l'shfanim"--these animals are
prevalent in EY.  I'm sure that in other countries there are other animals
on the mountains.

Shavua tov.
Moshe