[Avodah] Yosef Kappara and Tamar

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Dec 18 14:44:57 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 02:48:13PM +1100, Meir Rabi wrote:
: Is there some suggestion that even after the demise of Yosef there was still
: some opportunity to attain forgiveness and Mechilla?

As I already mentioned, R' Bachya said the kaparah was not because Yoseif
didn't forgive them. He did. However, he never articulated that mechilah.
It bothered me when I cited it. Why should their guilt carry on for
millennia just because he didn't say "I forgive you?"

In light of the train of thought RMR's post triggered, I would not suggest
that the problem wasn't obtaining Yoseif's mechilah, but HQBH. They were
willing to go to their graves thinking they weren't mefayeis Yoseif. Their
cheshbon with Yoseif was cleared, but there internal cheshbonos were not.

Micha Berger             For a mitzvah is a lamp,
micha at aishdas.org        And the Torah, its light.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - based on Mishlei 6:2
Fax: (270) 514-1507