[Avodah] Sephardi-ism: some food for thought

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 20:42:00 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Yitzhak Grossman <celejar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:56:55 -0500
> Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> > RRW seems to be descriing a world in which someday a good peice of
> > software running atop the Bar Ilan CD might be a better poseiq than
> > any human.
>
> This could be true independent of any model of Halachah and Pesak, if
> one assumes the possibility of the development of serious AI.
>
> Yitzhak

It's one of the reasons to HAVE a Bar-Ilan Teshuvos project in the first
place!

But ascribing this to me is silly. Beis Yosef, kaf hachahim, ROY and others
use a simlar technique.  But pershaps the greatest example in Ashknenaz is
the monumentl encyclopedic Darchei Teshuva on YD.  But even Pischei Teshuva
and Sha'arei Teshuva do this, too.

I don't understsand how a criticms of X can create an entire pgeonhole
characterizaiotn or extrapolation of a person's OWN methodology.  It is
indeed quie silly. I am merely pointeing out that many ashkenazic 20th
cnetury posqim will tangentially throw in a shita as a given as if it wer a
kayma lan that all concur when as am atter of fact the issue is in serious
dispute. I find it annoying at times because the less educated reder will be
easily bamboozled.

As far as any single methodlogy, voting by Bar-Ilan CD-ROM might e A method
but it is not MY METHOD.  All I am asking is that posqim subject themselvs
to ANY objeective method so that their own egos will not allow them to come
u pwith highly subjective deicions that would tilt Halachah agaisnt heir own
philosophy when they "feel" it is rght.

lehavdil, Mario Cuomo opposed the death penalty. He was aksed well what if
HIS sister had been brutally raped? And he responded that is why law should
be dispasionate and objective and not about personal emotions.

It would seemto me that those sho subscribe to the Mussar schoold would
realize that even Gedolim have egos, and it is best that if they are being
dan yechidi [as opposed to sitting in a BD] that they submit themselves to a
metholodgy that would serve as a check and balance.

That is THE only thing I can be pinpointed on so far. The call for a more
obejctive system of ps'ak. BY subjected himself. A pretty good example. But
the Ga'onim came up with a about 2 pages of rules on how to pasqen.
Objective rules for psaq are not new at all. They are quite traditional.
--
Kol Tuv - Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com