[Avodah] Dying al Kiddush Hashem

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Dec 5 09:00:11 PST 2008

Micha Berger wrote:

> I am not sure why RZS assumes the two are distinct. R' Aqiva supported
> Bar Kochva because of his belief in the Torah, Hadrian passed those
> decrees in order to suppress those rebellious Jews. In both of their
> eyes, the rebellion and the resurgance of Yahadus were aspects of a
> single thing. Of course a leading figure in the rebellion was a leading
> teacher. Neither side would have expected otherwise.

R Akiva's death is traditionally linked not to the general cause of
Yahadus, but specifically to mitzvas talmud torah.  The rebellion was
surely not about talmud torah, but about restoring Malchus Beis Dovid
and the BHMK.  Two distinct things.  And the point of the story with
Popus ben Yehuda is that R Akiva had the option of saving himself by
complying with the decree -- all he had to do was stop showing up in
the beis hamedrash and teaching borabim -- and he refused that option.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.