[Avodah] Dying al Kiddush Hashem

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Wed Dec 3 15:50:54 PST 2008

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 14:01:51 -0700 Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org>
wrote:
>REED, as I already wrote, made it about choice -- choice of how to
die,
>and how one accepts one's fate. This allows us to consider someone
who
>died for being a Jew who didn't actually get a choice whether to
live
>or die still as a qadosh.

Someone asked about the nafkah minah.  I am also confused by the
technicality of this discussion.  Even if I take a strict approach
and say that many people often identified as dying al kiddush
HaShem didn't actually fulfill the mitzvah, does that make much
difference?  Is our response to either R' Holtzberg or to a athiest
communist Jew killed by the Nazis a function of how we pasken on
the dinim of kiddush HaShem, or a larger evaluation of who they
were and how they were killed?

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu