[Avodah] Kim Leih Bid'rabba mineih

Yitzhak Grossman celejar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 15:29:00 PST 2008

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 16:59:10 -0500
David Riceman <driceman at att.net> wrote:

> My son and I are studying the mishnayos of Bava Kama, and we're on the
> mishna which says that someone who burns a neighbor's haystack on
> Shabbos is exempt from repayment because he has committed a capital
> crime.  My son asked whether this applies nowadays, when we don't
> adjudicate capital crimes.  Any ideas/sources?

Maharalbah [0] invokes KLBM in an actual case that occurred in his era
involving someone who tore someone else's Siddur on Shabbos.

[0] Resp. 89. available at
http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=1199&pgnum=86&hilite=
cited by Pis'hei Hoshen Nezikin Ch. 10 n. 113)

> David Riceman

Yitzhak
--
Bein Din Ledin - http://bdl.freehostia.com
A discussion of Hoshen Mishpat, Even Ha'Ezer and other matters