[Avodah] effects of religous worship no health

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Wed Dec 3 15:36:05 PST 2008

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 11:41:33 -0700 Steven J Scher <sjscher at eiu.edu>
wrote:
>R'YG:
>> We are not saying that He would do so "simply to convince people
of His
>> existence"; on the contrary, I am saying that as long as He can
be
>> expected to act according to the normal ways in which we are
told He
>> acts, i.e. as a Shomai'a Tefillah, we ought to be able to
measure and
>> quantify this effect. ...
>
>Yes, He's a Shmoai'a Tefillah, but He is also an Ohavei Mishpat
v'Tzedek.
>HaShem hears all prayers, but doesn't necessarily act on all of
them ...
>So, what would be His reasoning for
>treating those patients who are not deserving, but just happened
to be
>prayed for as part of our study, better than those who are more
deserving,
>but were randomly assigned into the non-prayer group?
>
>The only thing that I could think of is that He would do it
>because He wants to provide us evidence of His existence -- but it
seems like
>(a) that's not really a good enough reason to otherwise circumvent
His
>middah of justice, and (b) He has other, much more convincing ways
at His
>disposal to provide this evidence if He really wanted.

Another possibility is that He would arrange so that the supposedly
random groups are not random.  The scientists can pick any random
number generator they like, HKB"H can always "game" the system so
that the prayed-for group contains the people he wishes to give a
better outcome to.

OTOH, it is important to note that while a strong positive
correlation would be plausible piece of evidence for existence
(although it could also be a statistical anomaly or the result of a
methodological error, the latter being very common in this type of
study), a negative result (no difference between the samples) would
not be evidence for anything, really.  HKB"H could simple choose
not to reveal Himself in this way.

In fact, when I hear studies of this sort showing positive results,
I tend to be skeptical, not because I don't believe HKB"H exists,
chv"sh, but because I don't believe He runs the world in a way such
that this kind of test can work.

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu