[Avodah] Surrogate Mother

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Mon Dec 1 15:20:54 PST 2008

From: "david guttmann" _david.guttman at verizon.net_
(mailto:david.guttman at verizon.net)

>>I would like to get an idea of the current Halachik thinking  about having
children via a surrogate mother? What are the issues?

Thank you in advance for some insight.<<

David  Guttmann

The issues include:

1. If the surrogate is not Jewish, but the implanted embryo (=ovum +  sperm)
is from a Jewish mother, is the baby Jewish or not Jewish?   Conversely, if
the ovum came from a non-Jewish woman but was carried by a Jewish  surrogate, is
the baby Jewish or not?

2. In the situation where a Jewish couple is infertile and the husband's
sperm is used to impregnate a surrogate, and if that surrogate is a Jewish
married woman, is the resulting baby a mamzer, or a safek mamzer, or 100%  kosher?

3.  If a Jewish married woman acts as a surrogate for another  couple, and
becomes pregnant either A. with her own eggs and another man's sperm  or B. with
another couple's eggs and sperm (embroyos), is she considered to have
committed adultery and is she now forbidden to her husband?

4.  If the infertile couple are both Jewish but the wife becomes  pregnant
using donated eggs (maybe because she had her own ovaries surgically  removed)
and/or using donated sperm, what is the status of the resulting baby?  If her
husband is a kohen, is the baby a kohen -- if the sperm came from another  man?
  Or if her husband is not a kohen but the sperm donor is a  kohen, is the
baby a kohen?   Is the baby Jewish -- if the eggs came  from a non-Jewish donor?
 Is the baby a mamzer?  This whole paragraph  technically isn't about a
surrogate mother but about a couple who did IVF but  not with their own sperms and
eggs.   (BTW IMO people should not use  donated eggs and sperm, period.  It
just raises too many halachic, social  and genetic issues.)

5.  If the surrogate mother got pregnant with sperms and/or eggs  from the
Jewish couple and later changed her mind and insisted on keeping the  baby, what
is the baby's yichus?  Let's say the surrogate mother  is not Jewish -- is
the baby Jewish because the genetic material came from  Jews? Or let's say she
is Jewish -- is the baby the same shevet as the  genetic father (Levi or
Yisrael)?  Does the baby's status change according  to whether the mother who
carried it keeps it, or gives it to the contracting  couple whose genetic material
she carried?

As I said above, I think there are just way too many problems and nobody
should use a surrogate mother.  And definitely nobody should /be/ a  surrogate
mother.  Adoption is a better option.

The question is more bedieved, if somebody was born to a surrogate mother
and grew up and became a BT, what is his status?

(I think that the mother who carries and gives birth to the baby  determines
its Jewish status, regardless of the genes, but I don't know all  the teshuvos
on this subject, there must be plenty.)

Speaking of surrogate mothers, in the Torah we find that a man would take  a
second wife (like Hagar) or a pilegesh (like Bilhah and Zilpah) in order to
produce a child who would be raised by the first, main wife, but then the
"surrogate" mother remained part of his household, under his roof, married to
him, and did not go off and live in another family away from her children.   (It
seems that the mother who thought "I will raise my maid's child on  my knee,
love him and teach him as my own" -- it didn't turn out that way.   In fact,
Rochel thought she would raise her handmaiden's children and ironically  exactly
the opposite happened -- Rochel died in childbirth and Bilhah actually
raised Rochel's children.)  (Which is probably why Yakov went to live in  Bilhah's
tent rather than Leah's tent when Rochel died -- the children of the  most
beloved wife were in Bilhah's tent.)  (So family dynamics get really,  really
complicated with surrogacy or anything like it -- thus adding sholom  bayis to
the list of surrogacy issues.)

--Toby Katz
"If you don't  read the newspaper you are uninformed;
if you do read the newspaper you are  misinformed."
--Mark Twain
Read *Jewish World Review* at _http://jewishworldreview.com/_
(http://jewishworldreview.com/)
AOL.com.