[Avodah] Rivkah's Intention

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Nov 27 10:00:15 PST 2008

From: "Richard Wolpoe" _rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com_
(mailto:rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com)

>>    1. Who gave Yaakov permission to "lie"
2. Who gave Eliezer  permission to use Nichush to find a wife for
Yitzchak?

The common answer is the hora'as hsa'ah of a navi...   <<

The common answer is correct, as RRW went on to  explain (how both Rivka's
and Eliezer's actions were based on nevuah) but  it should also be added:

!. Yakov didn't technically lie -- even when deceiving his father for a
halachically correct reason, he was careful not to technically utter a falsehood
-- and so he said, "Anochi...(slight pause)...Esav bechorecha."  I am I,  and
Esav is your firstborn.

2.  The sign Eliezer chose wasn't really nichush because it was a sign  that
would reveal the midos of the girl and was directly relevant to his search.
Had he said, "If a girl comes out wearing a blue dress, that will be the
sign," the question would have greater force.  As it stands, it isn't that  much of
a question.

--Toby Katz
"If you don't read the  newspaper you are uninformed;
if you do read the newspaper you are  misinformed."
--Mark Twain
Read *Jewish World Review* at _http://jewishworldreview.com/_
(http://jewishworldreview.com/)
AOL.com.