[Avodah] Lesheim Yichud Source Please and explanation

David Riceman driceman at att.net
Wed Nov 26 09:37:10 PST 2008

Richard Wolpoe wrote:
> Doesnt' saying that KBH needs to be united with the Sehchina imply C'V
> some duality in the Achdus of HKBH? Or IOW how is this statemnt
> understood w/o violating the Unity of HKBH?
"Kol makom shegalu yisrael shchina galtah imahem".  The l'sheim yihud
can be understood on a humble level as an allegorical expression of the
apocalyptic attitude (perhaps prayer would be a better word) that
fulfilling mitzvoth will end the exile and inaugurate the Messianic era.

I'll add a lawyerlike caveat here: this post should not be taken as an
endorsement either of saying "l'sheim yihud" or of a theurgic view of
mitvoth.

David Riceman