[Avodah] Sephardi-ism: some food for thought

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Nov 25 14:08:28 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:41:20PM -0000, Chana Luntz wrote:
:> RMM echoed R'Micha:
:>> I agree with R' Micha that Sefaradim seem to rely on
:>> majority-vote...whereas Ashkenazim rely on sevara....

: Eek.  I know that ROY dominates Sephardi psak these days, and this is often
: said about him  - although I confess I think people are often confusing...
:       if you really read his teshuvos you see they are a lot more
: sophisticated than that.  But he certainly canvasses all opinions and is
: prepared to rule against some of those he quotes.

: And I guess if you go back in time, the Shulchan Aruch (himself a Sephardi)
: does say this about himself in that that he decides by majority vote between
: the Rif, the Rambam and the Rosh.

Those were the two cases I was thinking of.

: But still I think this is a huge generalisation...
:    the Ben Ish Chai, but what I have read does not come across that way at
: all (if anything he is very very influenced by Kabbalistic considerations,
: which the majority do not necessarily take into account)...

My point was only the generalization. And even if I'm mistaken, which is
quite likely (eg the BIH), the existence of this stereotype wouldn't stand
if in reality "Sepharda-ism" had a tendency of preferring leniency. Nor
does it stand up to the BIH's qabbalah-based taam hamitzvos means of
resolving ties. (Disproving this point was where this thread began.)

: > Where does the MB fit into this dichotomy?

: Well if you are going on stereotypes, then the stereotype of the MB is that
: he neither poskens based on sevara nor relies on majority vote, but tries to
: go l'chumra for all shittos...

Although I still do not believe the CC was attempting to pasqen this
way. Not a tangent I necessarily want to reopen right now, as it's true
of whomever decided the MB was a seifer of pesaq, whether it was the CC,
RAKotler, or RYKamenecki.