[Avodah] a troubling halacha

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Nov 24 11:59:04 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 10:44:52PM -0000, Chana Luntz wrote:
:                                             The only place we seem to apply
: it l'halacha is vis a vis an avel, and that would seem to suggest it is avel
: specific.

While I agree with your thesis, I'm not sure this makes the point.

The severity of the news is related to who is receiving it.

Jumping back a bit in RnCL's post:
: Note that thr Meiri appears to believe that this applies to the general
: telling in relation to an adam gadol and not specifically in relation to
: telling a relative about somebody who may not fall within that category...

To the relative, the loss of Peloni Almoni is quite likely a greater
tragedy than the loss of Moreinu haRav haGaon Manhig haDor.

So, it *could* be about the speaker, that he shouldn't give bad news, as
opposed to keeping the recipient from getting it. However, the definition
of "bad news" depends on the recipient.

Micha Berger             I slept and dreamt that life was joy.
micha at aishdas.org        I awoke and found that life was duty.
http://www.aishdas.org   I worked and, behold -- duty is joy.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Rabindranath Tagore