[Avodah] a troubling halacha

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Nov 19 20:42:01 PST 2008

kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:

> I concede that communication between distant places was unreliable.
> But how often were these relatives in distant places?

Perhaps not that often, but those who stayed in their birth town
would naturally hear about the death, it would be impossible to keep
it from them, and so this whole topic would not be relevant.  The
question of whether to tell, how to tell, and how long to wait, only
arises when someone is far away (as R Chiya was from Rav's parents)
so that if nobody tells him what happened he won't know.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.