[Avodah] a troubling halacha

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Nov 18 13:48:52 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 11:18:24AM -0000, Chana Luntz wrote:
: RET writes:
:> I am still waiting for a source (before KSA) that one shouldn't inform
:> relatives of the death of a family member (except for kaddish)

: Basically the source of the KSA is the Shulchan Aruch and Rema.

: The Shulchan Aruch (Yoreh Deah siman 402 si'if 12) says:
: One to whom a close relative has died (mi shemet lo met) one is not
: obligated to tell him (aino chova) even if it is his father or his mother
: and on this it is said U'motzei d'vara hu k'sil (Mishlei 10:18) and it is
: permitted to invite him to an engagement or wedding feast and all types of
: simcha since he doesn't know but anyway if he asks upon him he is not to lie
: and say that he is alive as it says, from a matter of sheker keep far away.

: The Rema then adds:
: In any event with male children we are accustomed to make it known in order
: that they should say kaddish but with daughters it is not the minhag at all
: [ain minhag klal] to make it known.

Eino chovan and ein minhag kelal to do it. The KSA goes beyond that and
writes of a duty not to say anything. Not merely a lack of requirement
to tell.