[Avodah] praying with a minyan on an airplane

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Nov 18 10:09:17 PST 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 07:45:07PM +0200, Eli Turkel wrote:
: In the latest volume of the Journal of Halacha and Contemporary Society
: there is an article on praying with a minyan on an airplane.
: The author, Rabbi Weiner...
: Thus in particular problems of a chillul hashem would override davening
: with a minyan. Other problems include proximity to the lavatory and
: immodestly dressed women who need to pass by in the aisle. He quotes
: RSZA as being opposed to minyanim on a plane.

Yad Moshe) writes:
> Igros Moshe OC 4:20 page 32 "A person who prays sitting in an airplane
> does not have to repeat his prayer. And even lchatchila if it difficult
> for him to stand in the plane and he will be distracted because of this
> it is better for him to sit and to stand prior to bowing down as is
> stated in the Rema 94:5. Look at Magen Avraham sif koton 14."

I had asked:
>>Even when one will be in the air the entire zeman tefillah, R' Moshe
>>Feinstein holds that davening in one's seat is preferrable than a
>>minyan
>>that blocks the way of other passangers, or incoveniences the staff by
>>taking up the galley or aisle.

>Someone asked me which teshuvah it is. I don't know, as I was told this
>pesaqby an LOR, nor do I own a Yad Moshe (the maftei'ach). Can anyone help?

To which RDE replied:
> I could not find such a teshuva in the Igros Moshe. The above is the
> only I found concerning davening on a plane. If anyone finds it please
> let me know.

M"M for RSZA -- Halikhos Shelomo 8:4, indiated in
Uvelekhtekha Vaderekh 7:14, fhn 64. (As per RCSherer in
<http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol12/v12n084.shtml#23>. Not quoted in
full because his content largely overlaps RDE's.)

Micha Berger             When a king dies, his power ends,
micha at aishdas.org        but when a prophet dies, his influence is just
http://www.aishdas.org   beginning.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                    - Soren Kierkegaard