[Avodah] on a Jewish Mother

Moshe Y. Gluck mgluck at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 21:32:33 PST 2008

RYL (quoting RSRH):
"Hagar's whole behavior is highly characteristic; it typifies the unrefined
Chamite nature. A Jewish mother would never abandon her child,
<SNIP>

R' Joseph Kaplan:
This story appears, as I recall, in the same book as a story about a Jewish father who was prepared to slit the throat of his own, and only, son.  One could argue that the Abraham's actions typifies the unrefined and primitive Jewish nature.  Please note: I'm not making that argument.  I'm simply pointing out that perhaps we shouldn't be making statements about the unrefined nature of other cultures based on a single story.

Is it fair to say that RSRH may have used the Pesukim to "hang" his outlook on life upon? In an off-list discussion someone made the point that we see that B'nos Yishmael today act in the same way as RSRH describes, while Bnos Yisroel don't; we don't need to source that difference in the Pasuk, but we can definitely (as RSRH seems to do) illustrate it with the Pasuk.

KT,
MYG