[Avodah] profit margins

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Nov 12 07:15:30 PST 2008

herb basser wrote:

> Actually-- profit margins could be halachicly 1000% (beis din does not
> set prices today) if all merchants set that price and onaah occurs [...]
> in between the two points is  bitul mekah (if you were charged that)--
> get your money back, before the 1/6 rate you are moichal the overcharge.

I don't think the source quoted in the article was talking about ono'oh,
which is a matter of consumer fraud and applies to all items, but about
the caps on profits from food (20%) and food-related items (100%).

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.