[Avodah] Gentiles in the Torah

Silverman, Philip B Philip.Silverman at bcbsga.com
Wed Nov 12 07:11:57 PST 2008

Micha shared some words from a great sefer:

> In a VIN editorial, I saw the following quote from RASoloveitchik's
> "Logic of the Heart, Logic of the Mind":

  >  From the standpoint of the Torah, there can be no distinction
between
  >  one human being and another on the basis or race or color. Any
  >  discrimination shown to a human being on account of the color of
  >  his skin constitutes loathsome barbarity. It must be conceded that
  >  the Torah recognized a distinction between a Jew and a non-Jew.
This
  >  distinction, however, is not based upon race, origin or color, but
  >  rather upon k'dushah, the holiness endowed by having been given and
  >  having accepted the Torah. Furthermore, the distinction between Jew
  >  and non-Jew does not involve any concept of inferiority but is
based
  >  primarily upon the unique and special burdens that are incumbent
  >  upon Jews.

Since R' Soloveitchik used the word 'primarily', I would gather that he
would add other, less primary, distinctions.

Such as k'dushah, which was stated in the prior sentence. (But wait,
maybe that's /not/ less primary, so I'm a little confused by the
wording.) Does R' Soloveitchik include any /other/ distinctions?

All the best,

Philip

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information or otherwise protected by law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.