[Avodah] How the Torah portrays our great men

Moshe Y. Gluck mgluck at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 21:24:23 PST 2008

> On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 10:22:21AM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
> : A maamar chazal that mentions phrenology?  Isn't that strictly a 19th-
> : century "science"?

R' MB:
> You're right. I probably should have said physiognomy.

If anyone is interested in looking it up, this is in Tiferes Yisroel, Yachin, Kiddushin 4:77. It's also brought down - a bit differently - in Noam Hamidos, Cheilek 1, Maareches Ches, Siman 78:2. (He brings it down from his father, who he identifies in his Hakdamah as being the Ohr Hachaim. Does anyone know if his father was THE Ohr Hachaim, or a different one?)

KT,
MYG