[Avodah] a troubling halacha

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Sun Nov 9 15:23:42 PST 2008

At 06:13 PM 11/9/2008, you wrote:

>I understand that in communities where only one person says kaddish,
>an avel for a parent has higher priority than an avel for other
>relatives. But you seem to be saying that in some communities, an
>avel for other relatives does not say kaddish at all, unless there
>are no sons to say it.
>
>Is that so? I'm curious which communities are that way.
>
>Akiva Miller

Why should one say for a sister or a brother, if they leave behind
sons who are over Bar Mitzvah who are saying kaddish for them? The
halacha is, as I understand it, that only one person is supposed to
say kaddish at a given time. (Today this has changed in many places
in order to avoid fights over who gets to say which kaddish.) From
here you see that only one person saying kaddish is what is to be
done. Why have others say kaddish?

YL