[Avodah] Another View on How to Portray People of the Past

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Nov 9 08:29:12 PST 2008

From: "Joseph I. Lauer" _josephlauer at hotmail.com_
(mailto:josephlauer at hotmail.com)

>>'What is gained by pointing out
>>their inadequacies and  their contradictions? We want to be inspired by
their
>>example and  learn from their experience....'" [--RSS]

>> How does one "learn from their experience" when only part of  the
experience is related? <<
Joseph I. Lauer

RJL asked a great question.  I think that (in  many cases) the historian
SHOULD write about great people's failings and  challenges and weaknesses --
especially if they overcame them.  The  hagiography that paints "gedolim" as people
who were born as malachim and were  always perfect does not teach us anything
that we can actually learn from, as  well as being fundamentally sheker.

*The Making of a Godol*  was banned because its author, R' Nasan  Kaminetsky,
portrayed gedolim as full rounded human beings, but I found  MOAG to be a
very inspiring book.

--Toby  Katz

Holiday needs. Search Now.
-aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)