[Avodah] Hypocrisy in halakhah

Nishma rbh at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 3 11:12:58 PST 2008

Micha:

Thank you for passing on my words to the list. On the distinction between
justice for Bnei Noach and in the batei dinim of Yisrael, there is an Or
Sameach -- where unfortunately is not on the tip of my tongue but it may be
Hichot Rotzeach -- that compares the Noachide courts to the courts of the
melech which I also see as having the purpose of protecting society rather
than punishing the evil individual.

In regard to the issue of the distinction in treatment of bnei Noach and
bnei brit, I just wanted to mention my approach. I postulate that there is a
distinction between what we may term objective morality or ethics and what
we may term social mores. For example, in any society there is a distinction
between how we treat people within the group and how we treat people outside
the group. This distinction would surface in the distinction between how we
treat citizens and non-citizens. This type of approach may be helpful in
understanding any distinctions between treatment of Jews and treatment of
non-Jews. For example, the charging of interest would thus not seem to be an
inherent immoral act but rather it is the Torah's desire that within the
social dynamics of Klal Yisrael the Torah wishes the dynamics of
interpersonal behaviour to not include the paying of interest and thus be a
society built upon such a dynamic. As you raise the topic, I just wanted to
put in my two cents. I hope it is helpful.

Take care
RBH

----- Original Message [trimmed by me. -micha] -----