[Avodah] Pikuach Nefesh - psychological?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Nov 3 14:29:07 PST 2008

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 10:27:28PM +0200, Daniel Eidensohn wrote:
: I am trying to find sources to justify applying the term pikuach nefesh
: to psychological issues such as child abuse.

I can't give you a mar'eh maqom, but I know of a case where a rape victim
r"l went to the SR about getting an abortion.

The SR accepted her (O) therapist's professional opinion that there was
a real risk that the girl might be rendered a shotah having to raise
a child so produced, or even just knowing that child is out there in
the O world somewhere. Based on this, the rebbe declared it a case of
sakanas nefashos and permitted an abortion.

(I was told the story by the therapist in question.)

Admittedly, the standard of proof for permitting abortion before 40 days
isn't that high in general, and therefore even leshitaso that doesn't
prove the SR would be similarly meiqil WRT other dinim.

And it's not publishable, as this is eid mipi eid without a text to
cite.

Micha Berger             Man is equipped with such far-reaching vision,
micha at aishdas.org        yet the smallest coin can obstruct his view.
http://www.aishdas.org                         - Rav Yisrael Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507