[Avodah] Hypocrisy in halakhah

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 05:27:32 PDT 2008

I should note that my question of hypocrisy applies only for those who
reject the Meiri's thesis. According to Rabbi Dr. David Berger, Meiri
is accepted as halakhah l'maaseh by Rabbis Hirsch, Herzog, Ahron
Soloveichik, Y. Y. Weinberg, and Kook. If so, my question of hypocrisy
does not arise; only for those who reject Meiri does it arise.

In other words, my question should really be phrased as follows: For
those who do not follow Meiri, how does one answer the apparent
hypocrisy? I thank R' Zev Sero for his candid answer.

I believe that viewing the following two URLs would prove my point
that a Meiri-ish shita obviates the charge of hypocrisy (assuming it
is not apologetics):
1) R' Ahron - http://uriltzedek.webnode.com/news/rav-ahron-soloveichik-civil-rights-and-the-dignity-of-man/
2) R' Mendel Hirsch (R' Hirsch's son) -
http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/judaism_and_XXentiles.html
(replace the XX with a "g" - I want to prevent antisemitic Google
searches)

Mikha'el Makovi