[Avodah] Sukkah in the BHMK

david guttmann david.guttman at verizon.net
Fri Oct 24 00:39:14 PDT 2008

Nehemiah 8:17 we read:

And all the congregation of them that were come back out of the captivity
made booths, and dwelt in the booths; for since the days of Joshua the son
of Nun unto that day had not the children of Israel done so. And there was
very great gladness.

I will never find it inside but years ago I saw a piece by the Steipler A"H
who explains the reason the children of Israel did not make Sukkot since the
days of Yehoshua was because Olei regel are patur from Sukkah under the din
of travelers. Only during the times of Yehoshua and Nechemiah, when they had
just arrived and all were together as residents around the Mishkan in the
first case or Beit Hamikdash in the later case, were they all Chayav in
Sukkah. It does not directly address the issue you are discussing but it
does somehow touch on RJM's reference to Archin.

David Guttmann

If you agree that Believing is Knowing, join me in the search for Knowledge
at http://yediah.blogspot.com/

Ve'izen vechiker (Kohelet 12:9) subscribe to Hakirah at www.hakirah.org