[Avodah] rain on Succot

Saul Mashbaum saul.mashbaum at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 13:01:02 PDT 2008

RET
Do you have a source that the curse [of rain on Succot, SM] is only
the first night?

RTK

I thought it was in Sefer Hatoda'ah but can't find it there

Sefer Hatoda'ah  Vol I page 246 (the section "Geshem" in the chapter
"Hoshana u'Shmini Atzeret") says explicitly that rain is a "siman
klala" all of Succot ,which is why we say "Geshem" only starting from
Shmini Atzeret. In the sources section Sefer Hatoda'ah cites Taanit 2a
and Succa 29b, as I and other posters did.

I have not seen the peirush hamishnayot of the Rambam mentioned by
some posters, but cannot understand how the mishnyot in Taanit and
Succa can be understood to refer only to rain on the first night.
Both clearly refer to rain on all of Succot.

Saul Mashbaum