[Avodah] Gentiles in Torah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Oct 13 08:24:41 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 03:40:42PM +0200, Michael Makovi wrote:
: Rabbi Eliezer Samson Rosenthal (smiha from Merkaz haRav, posek for
: Professor Ephraim Urbach's Movement for Torah Judaism) perhaps agrees
: (at (at http://www.lookstein.org/articles/reflections.pdf). In
: relatively unclear words (page 10) which I am not sure I understand,
: he says that we adopted universal values from the Enlightenment,
: because for centuries we cried to the gentiles that we are their
: brothers...

But as RBLau (whose article RMM is citing) points out RESR failed in
sticking to the MTJ's agenda. Their goal, as summarized in the article:
    Most members of the Movement for Torah Judaism were religious
    academics grounded in the intellectual world but taking halakhic
    guidance seriously. As individuals leading religious-halakhic lives,
    they had to account to themselves for the tension between their
    spiritual-intellectual world and their observance of the halakhic
    system. For example, Prof. Moshe David Har, a leading spokesman
    for the Movement, claimed that "our sages of blessed memory strove
    for a normative way of life in practice...a distinction was drawn
    between halakhah and thought...halakhah strives for the norm, but
    theoretical analysis is up to each individual."

But in practice, this didn't happen, and (again as RBL notes) they ended
up subject to the same problems as C / Mesorati's legal process. And in
fact, that RESR was unique in the MTJ crowd for assuming a poseiq's role
for this very reason. He blured the lines between academic objective
history and halachic process.

You accepted RESR's position without addressing RBL's criticism. And the
position you are endorsing shows all the symptoms of historical school.
I suggest you reread from pg 20 onward.

: R' Weiner says it is difficult to deny some sort of greater love for
: Jews by Hashem. The way I have seen it is, all of mankind is His
: children; when we err, He still loves us no less, just like any
: parent. To be sure, a parent is closer to an obedient well-behaved
: child, but this closer relationship does not imply greater love (the
: parents out there will please explain and/or correct my words)...

The child who is more obedient is given more responsibilities, and
therefore also more control. (Eg: The child more likely to carry out
the parents' will is more likely to inherit their charity foundation.)
And yes, they will end up working together more. This is the notion of
"beni bechori Yisrael". Being the bechor gets you extra nachalah, but
only to enable your doing extra chores!

One of the questions that get revisited every Purim is "ad delo yada
bein arur Haman levarukh Mordechai". Tell me, how far is it from cursing
Haman to blessing Mordechai? It's not like Chazal said /blessing/ Haman.

There is a thin line between ethnic pride and racism. It's the difference
between saying my people are great, and saying everyone else stinks.
Arur Haman is fine, because Haman personally did stink. But barukh
Mordechai is the more constructive attitude.

Similarly, there is a gap between nachriim and Yisraelim, putting aside
the question of whether this gap is the cause for beris Sinai or caused
by it. One could analyze this gap by looking at how much more the am
hanivchar is from an already high plateau, or, one can belittle the gap
between chai and medabeir.

Which brings me to the Tanya....