[Avodah] davening to melachim/toby

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Oct 13 03:41:40 PDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 03:38:17PM -0400, T613K at aol.com wrote:
: In a message dated 10/12/2008, basserh at queensu.ca writes:
:> btw-- why should we call it "neila"-- we asked for  "psicha"-- pesach lanu
:> shaar.

: This answer may be a little too pat, but -- the gates are closing, that's
: why it's called neila!  And we're like the customer who shows up at closing
: time and says, "Wait, wait, can't you stay open just a few more  minutes?!"

IOW, it's called ne'ilah in the same sense that shacharis is called
shacharis.

RHB has a point, though, that the tefillah itself, though, is not ne'ilah,
it's not a prayer that causes anything to close, it's an attempt at
pesichah.

Micha Berger             When you come to a place of darkness,
micha at aishdas.org        you don't chase out the darkness with a broom.
http://www.aishdas.org   You light a candle.
Fax: (270) 514-1507        - R' Yekusiel Halberstam of Klausenberg zt"l