[Avodah] Free will vs. Physics

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Oct 12 20:42:46 PDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 01:45:59PM -0400, david guttmann wrote:
:>If the person's decision is based entirely on a sum of the history of
:> things he experienced and the nature of his personality (both static and in
:> its propensities to evolve in various ways), then the soul is deterministic.
:> If so, his decision is entirely a product of things beyond the person's
:> control, and why should he be blamable for anything?

: But are not his past experiences a consequences of earlier bechirot he did
: and the same goes for his personality? Why limit Bechirah to this particular
: act without taking into the sum total of all past decisions and actions?

You're begging the question. How did that previous decision become his?
At some point, there is a first decision that was somehow neither random
nor determined by how he was made and what he experienced.

You can't explain decision number i based on decision nnumber i-1, as
i-1 woulld then have to be explained in terms of i-2, which in turn
gets you back to i-3, etc...

As I tried to summarize, the problem is