[Avodah] Is the term "He died before his time" correct?

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sat Oct 11 20:00:22 PDT 2008

From: Micha Berger _micha at aishdas.org_ (mailto:micha at aishdas.org)
: >>An eis is a  time that comes according to a prescheduled appointment,
: >>ready or  not. It is a point in a shanah, in cyclic time that runs its
:  >>celestial heartbeat regardless of human action. A zeman is a landmark  in
: >>the course of progression.

I believe that "zman" is a date or a season and  "eis" is the time of day.
You have "eis" as a point in the shana but I  think that "zman" is the word for
a point in the calendar.  Cf. on Chanuka  when we say "bayamim hahem bizman
hazeh" -- zman hazeh meaning this time of  year.

Also cf. Rashi on P' Mishpatim, 21:21 on the words "Ach im yom oh yomayim
ya'amod" -- if somebody strikes his slave and his slave survives "one day or two
 days" before dying.  Rashi says that means he survives 24 hours, living
part of one day and part of the next day -- "ze me'eis la'eis" -- he survives
from this time one day to the same time the next day.

--Toby  Katz
GCT