[Avodah] Yelulei Yalil

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Oct 10 09:19:51 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 09:07:52PM -0400, Yitzhak Grossman wrote:
: > When a Middle Eastern ulelelates, crying a high pitched "lalalalalala",
: > it's a sound of joy....                                         Ulelate is
: > an onomatopoeia (a word that sounds like its meaning), so could "yelilah".

: According to various (not necessarily reliable) sources, ululation can
: express either grief or joy.  What is your source that, at least when
: done by Middle Easterners, it must be the latter?

It was the only meaning I knew of. I'm punting the metzius question to
those of us from Edot haMizrach (naturally or by marriage) and therefore
would know better.

:-)BBii!