[Avodah] Praying to angels

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 13:12:06 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Richard Wolpoe <rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Zev Sero <zev at sero.name> wrote:
>
>> The problem with this is that mal'achim are not supposed to have
>> bechira.  Indeed, the definition of shituf is the belief that the
>> powers above, such as the sun and moon or the mal'achim, have the
>> bechira not to convey Hashem's blessings to us, and therefore have
>> to be cajoled, or even bribed, in order to do so, just as is the
>> case with a king's ministers and servants.
>

>> Zev, ditto.
>

> Actaulyl we debated this. There are those who say taht mal'achim do NOT
> lack behira but lack a yetzer horo.

See the final paragraphs of Eliyahu Zuta.  This source states explicitly
that were Mal'achim left on this plane they would havea yetzer horo, too and
it is pretty clear that they do not lack behcira just a yetzer horo.

So they have zero desire to commit a sin. But they have the ability to
choose.
I think the story of savin Lot suggests this. the Mal'ach is told to destroy
all 5 cities but relents to Lot's request regarding Zo'ar.  That is because
one mal'ach was there to save Lot. So there was a conflict as to what to
do.  It does not apepar that HKBH was consulted, they simply chose to relent
to Lot. They could have refused and told Lot to keep on going or else.  Look
at the ultimatum given Mrs. Lot as an example.

--
Gmar Chasima Tova
Best Wishes for the New Year 5769