[Avodah] Double hey hayedi'ah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Oct 8 10:47:04 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 05:05:01PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
: Micha Berger wrote:
:>On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 03:17:32PM +0000, Gershon Dubin wrote:
:>: Lishna deKra;  vehakohen hagadol me'echave.

: >However, that doesn't work without the prepositional phrase "mei'echav.
: >"The kohein who is greater than his brothers". Not "the Chief Kohein" as
: >noun adjective (w/ aforementioned caveats about adjectives).

: See Bamidbar 35:28 -- "ad mot hakohen hagadol".

You're right, I'm making a stupid mistake between noun-adjective, or
descriptive noun list, and semichut. Hakohein hagadol isn't intended to
mean "the priest of the Great One", so both "ha-" make sense.

Similarly "haMelekh haQadosh" can't be "the King of the holy One", but
we knew that already. The discussion of whether haQadosh is a 2nd noun,
like the words "my boss" in "I told John, my boss, ..." or an adjective,
or both because the distinction is false, still stands without my blunder.

GCT!

Micha Berger             Rescue me from the desire to win every
micha at aishdas.org        argument and to always be right.
http://www.aishdas.org              - Rav Nassan of Breslav
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   Likutei Tefilos 94:964