[Avodah] 10 Yemei Teshuva Paradox?

Ira Tick itick1986 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 09:52:29 PDT 2008

Since the reference is from Kaddish, and is in praise of Hashem as beyond
human praise, that does not indicate G-d's personal distance, only His
transcendence of our verbal expressions of love and reverence.  That may
create a distance for us, if we only focus on G-d's uniqueness as a form of
"otherness."  If we instead focus on how aware we are during the Yamim
Noraim that we have a more intense awe of G-d than we do of man, or better
yet, a more fundamental intimacy, albeit intense, with G-d, we see the
uniqueness of our relationship with G-d and not His distance from us.  Any
relationship with a parent or a teacher or a master is an unequal
relationship and that at times requires separation behavior (Think the end
of U'Nesane Tokef...Adam Yesodo M'Afar...V'Ata Hu Melech E-L Chai V'Kayam).
But that does not prevent the combination of fear and love from being an
intimate experience.

--
Ira Tick
6519 N Whipple