[Avodah] Pat palter

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Sun Oct 5 09:23:33 PDT 2008

On Thursday, 2. October 2008 16.50:10 Micha Berger wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 11:36:15PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
> : AIUI, at the time it was unheard of for bread to contain anything treif,
> : so there was no need to worry about it...
>
> My understanding is that this is still true for some breads for which
> there is a strong tradition to use a particular recipe. Such as buying
> baguettes in France. RAF?

The situation has become somewhat more murky in recent years, and one must
distinguish between large retailer bread, which likely contains additives,
and traditional baguettes, which are still eaten. Caveat: I live outside of
France, in Switzerland.

> The star-K told me the same about traditional teas. Much like beers
> that aren't dark here in the US. A brewer may use red wine to color beer
> without "losing face" or calling it anything fancy. But most beers do not
> require a hechsher. Whiskies, without the issue of sherry casks. Etc...

By the way, I am behind on Avodah, but I understand this discussion is related
to RSBA's report that brewers in New Zealand use fish derivatives to clarify
beer. This is a well known issue with many, many fruit juices and was dealt
with in well known teshuvot. If I am not mistaken, the field was opened by
teh Noda biYhudah who ruled that products clarified with isinglas (a fish
derivative) are permissible. Caveat 2: this is off the cuff.
--
Arie Folger
http://ariefolger.wordpress.com