[Avodah] Pat palter

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Fri Oct 3 11:50:53 PDT 2008

But the way I read RJR's post, he was not asking only about the
ingredients. He was also asking about the oven. How do we know that the
non-Jewish baker used his oven ONLY for bread?

Some might respond by noting, "Duh! We're talking about a *baker*! What
else would be in that oven beside bread?" Well, if I'm not mistaken,
wasn't it a common practice for the Jewish community (who couldn't
afford to have an oven in each home) to keep their Shabbos lunch all
together in a common oven? A separate pot for each balabusta, but still,
if we use a common oven isn't it at least possible that the local
non-Jews might have similar needs and similar solutions? Why presume
that the palter's oven was kosher?

Akiva Miller

Baruch shekivanta - I think I remember once learning that we assume all
there keilim (including stoves I guess) are assumed not ben yomo but I
don't know why or if so, was there an attempt to see the local teva. I'm
having a hard time answering why a takkana originally made because of
"maybe they'll feed us treif" (rashi) or chatnut (tosfot) has emerged as
it has and why pat palter was acceptable other than as a horaat shaah,
and if the metziut changed why isn't factory bread which has neither of
the issues not "pat yisrael" much the same as milk per R' Moshe (and why
was R' moshe later say yeshivot should drink chalav yisrael other than
for "salute the flag" reasons.)
GCT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.