[Avodah] Modern Day Sifrei Torahs

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Dec 31 13:16:02 PST 2008

Again I ask: Why would someone think that the Rambam was thinking of the
text of the Torah? Part of the 8th ikkar (tr R Eliezer C Abramason
<http://www.panix.com/~jjbaker/13yesodos.html> - thanks RJJB!):
> All this is also true for the explanation of the Torah, which was also
> received from the mouth of the Almighty [the Oral Torah]. The manner in
> which we today make the Sukkah, Lulav, Shofar, Tzitzis, Tefillin, and
> other items is precisely the manner that God, blessed be He, instructed
> Moshe, who then instructed us and Moshe was reliable in relating [God's
> word].

Clearly the Rambam in this ikkar means semantics, not syntax. Now,
changes in the text that change meaning would be included, but not
spelling differences that do not impact even translation. Otherwise,
how would TSBP be part of the same ikkar?

His definition of a denying is:
> One who says that verses and stories like these ["uvnei Cham..." "vesheim
> ishto Meheitaveil", etc... are quoted in the previous line -mi] were
> written by Moshe out of his own mind, behold! He is considered by our
> Sages and Prophets as a heretic and a perverter of the Torah...

> In truth, however, every word of the Torah has within it wisdom and
> wonders for one who can understand them...

Words, verses and stories, not spelling.

But then, that's a dyslexic's take on the subject. <g>