[Avodah] sins of our forefathers

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 03:40:57 PST 2008

<<we always debate the validity of the hagiographic approach to
history that seems to be a frum tenet.
deleting details that are not in step with current halachic mores
seems to be universally acceptable. the converse--making things up for
a good purpose--
is i think seen as less or not acceptable.>>

Just read a dvar Torah where it is mentioned that we have stories in
the Torah that shed a bad light
about the avot. All of their "sins" are relatively minor like Abraham
lying about Sarah being his sister etc.
However when it comes to Jacob's sons the Torah seems to stress the
bad parts. The actions of Shimon & Levi
in Schechem are condemned, the sin of Reuven, according to Chazal, is
not as bad as described. Yehuda
and Tamar is described without hiding anything. The fights between
Yosef and his brothers are displayed in full glory.

--
Eli Turkel