[Avodah] Rav Aviner on Amen Meals

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Mon Dec 29 10:31:57 PST 2008

R' Joel Rich quoted Rav Aviner:
> Q: What is Ha-Rav's opinion about "Amen Meals" (participants take
> different types of food, recite a blessing before eating and those who

> hear the blessings answer "Amen")?
> A: This is a new creation. It is permissible ... Why do women do this?

> In order to increase merits for themselves, for the sick, for young
> women to find mates, etc... But if people want to increase merits they

> do not have to invent new venues.

Is this really such a new thing?

To me, it sounds extremely similar to the practice of some men who who
recite Birchos Hashachar out loud, which I've been told is for the
specific purpose of accruing zechus to the people who answer Amen. (I'm
not talking about the chazan, but about people who say these brachos
aloud from their seat in shul.)

Akiva Miller

Yes, I've heard of that but that's not the main focus of gathering.
Question: If one eats not because they are hungry but specifically in
order to make a bracha, do you still make a bracha?

KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.